Beta testing for a totally new sampling/triggering alg

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Re: Beta testing for a totally new sampling/triggering alg

Postby ignotus » Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:52 pm

Working great, this time I was able to easily dial in my piezo/piezo pads and got all 3 zones working without hassle. Now to make it perfect (aside from the MIDI led on at boot and the orange bars, but those are just aesthetic), I think I'm getting a bit more crosstalk than before. I can get rid of it by grouping pads and raising the level, but a very annoying side-effect is that a hard hit on a rim zone (it mostly seems to be with rims, switch ones too) causes lighter hits on head zones in the same xtalk group to be cancelled for about a full second. E.g. if I'm doing a rim/head pattern on the snare, a hard rim hit will stop head notes for that full second, causing loads of missed hits if it's a fast pattern.

Another thing I feel is that flams are harder to achieve than before - you have to really separate the two hits for both of them to register. On my mesh pads I've got retrigger at 1 and DynLevel/DynTime at 1/4 so can't really go any lower than that, but it still seems that the false trigger suppression is too aggressive.
If it ain't broken... fix it until it is.
ignotus

Postby dmitri » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:44 am

I put only initial XTalk suppression implementation in the new alg so far. I will work on this now.
And I will lighten up doeble triggering suppression for low DynLevel/DynTime settings.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby dmitri » Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:17 pm

Updated beta firmware in the first post.
Softened double triggering suppression for lower DynLevel and DynTime levels and a small logic correction there.
Also made XTalk suppression softer. It is still in preliminary state.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby dmitri » Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:16 pm

Updated beta firmware in the first post.
Fixed a bug which prevented inputs 32-55 from working in the new algorithm.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby ignotus » Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:53 pm

I gave the latest beta a spin. I still struggle with crosstalk, even when its maxed. Mainly between shell rims. Another thing I noticed is that while false triggering is gone with hard hits (it used to be what caused them most), now it's light hits that suffer the most from it. I can bang away as hard as I want and get clean, single notes, but with a soft patter I can get up to 6 notes triggered per hit. I can get rid of them by dialling up DynLevel and DynTime, but that comes at a cost for tight flams and fast rolls - it'd be great if it could work as well as it does at high velocity hits with all velocities and be able to keep DynTime and DynLevel nice and low. But overall it's looking good!
ignotus

Postby dmitri » Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:04 pm

ignotus wrote:I gave the latest beta a spin. I still struggle with crosstalk, even when its maxed. Mainly between shell rims

Do you mean crosstalk between rims of different pads? So in your previous test crosstalk suppression was too strong and now it is too light, right?

Another thing I noticed is that while false triggering is gone with hard hits (it used to be what caused them most), now it's light hits that suffer the most from it. I can bang away as hard as I want and get clean, single notes, but with a soft patter I can get up to 6 notes triggered per hit. I can get rid of them by dialling up DynLevel and DynTime, but that comes at a cost for tight flams and fast rolls - it'd be great if it could work as well as it does at high velocity hits with all velocities and be able to keep DynTime and DynLevel nice and low. But overall it's looking good!

I will look into it and I'm pretty sure I know what needs to be adjusted.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby ignotus » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:35 am

dmitri wrote:Do you mean crosstalk between rims of different pads? So in your previous test crosstalk suppression was too strong and now it is too light, right?

I'll try to explain it better. What was happening before was that higher xtalk values would lead to a situation where a strong hit on a pad (most noticeable on an edge/rim zone, though that could have been the way I was testing it) would stop lighter hits on other zones/pads in the same xtalk group for as long as a full second. But what I would understand as xtalk proper - stopping other pads from (almost) simultaneous triggering when hitting a given pad - was still not working as well as it used to. WIth the latest beta, the hard hit suppressing others for a second seems to have improved, but I'm still getting xtalk between pads even with it set to 7. I have two toms very close to each other and they keep triggering each other's rims with medium-hard hits. I used to be able to completely isolate them and I haven't changed anything physically. I also have two kick pedal beaters with triggers inside them, which hit the same pad. If one of them is resting against the pad and I hit the pad with the other one, I don't want the former to trigger. Again, I used to be able to easily achieve this isolation with xtalk settings but now they keep triggering each other if one is resting against the pad.

Hope this makes sense.
ignotus

Postby dmitri » Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:39 pm

Can you please take two screenshot of the graphical MIDI Log?

First showing a few hits when you hit a rim on one pad and have a crosstalk to the orher pad.

Second showing a few hits when you do light hits on a pad and have false double triggering.

I need to see the time difference between the hits and registered levels. Please do it with Linear Curve on pads/zones involved.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby ignotus » Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:28 pm

Here you go:

This is the snare triggering multiple hits. I adjusted the physical trigger and it seems to have improved (down from 6 or 7 notes to 3). The mis-triggered notes are the last ones - the actual hit and two false triggers.
False_trigger_snare.png

And here is one tom rim triggering the other;
Xtalk_toms.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ignotus

Postby dmitri » Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:17 pm

Thank you!
Was it with a Linear Curve?
dmitri
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to MegaDrum Hardware