BFD3

Discussions of any related software

Moderator: Related software moderators

BFD3

Postby Elegantdrum » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:51 pm

Any out there using BFD3 with Megadrum? I realize the combination may not be common because BFD3 is expensive and most looking to the kit format are trying to keep costs down.

My question here is specific to BFD, but can be applied to just about any drum software.

To even phrase the question, I will use my case of Sonar and BFD3. Also in my case, I'm using an SSL MX4 card and Alpha link for AD/DA

The "normal way to use drum software is as a plug in. in this way, the audio is routed directly from BFD to channels in the DAW(Sonar).

I'm considering using BFD as a stand alone. I desire this because then I can stream the sounds directly to my routing software (SSL mix (soundscape)) for the purpose of sending the audio though hardware compression, then sending back into the MX4 for mixing. Then I would send the result to Sonar for a tape track to record. This would avoid sending 32 tracks of Audio from Sonar to SSL mix and cut down on my CPU load. I'm keeping all the drum mixing on the MX4 because of the very low mixing delay (4 samples to do all the mixing!). I can use hardware processors for the cost of 43 samples in and 23 samples out. At 96K, the extra delays are very small.

The complication with this is the MIDI routing. each piece of software can rout to and from any hard MIDI part. I desire the midi signal to go through a DAW track so that it can be recorded, edited and played back just like it's the original source. To get this done, right now I would have to rout midi from the DAW to an output, then loop it back into the DAW. Doing this I suspect will add some delay.

How can I rout MIDI from sonar directly to BFD? I don't think either have software only MIDI ports.

My guess is I'm missing some big picture piece of information......DOH!
Elegantdrum

Return to Related Software